Innovative and effective tool for coating process management and quality improvement of LIB electrodes
- Featuring a newly-developed inductance sensor, TSS20 visualizes distribution of coating thickness from the collectors to the top of active material layer in high resolution at sub-micron level over the entire surface of designated areas of cathode and anode.
In the above picture, uneven coating due to die coater problem is shown as lines.
- Thanks to a capacitance sensor integrated with the inductance sensor, TSS20 can visualize distribution of additives, such as binders and conductive agents, on active material layers and additive clusters, which adversely affect LIB performance.
The picture on the above shows coating distribution of the same sample measured with the capacitance sensor. Horizontal lines are coating errors while black spots indicate peeled coating and white spots are clusters.
- TSS20 measures both distribution of coating thickness and uniformity of slurry condition in a single operation.
- The flying sensor head scans at high speed, measuring an A4-size area in approximately 4 minutes (patent-pending).
- Maximum measurement area: 20cm x 25cm
- Management of slurry condition and viscosity uniformity
- Fine tuning of die coaters (for gap widths and pump pressures)
- Management of press roll accuracy
In addition to the capabilities described above, TSS20 can be an effective tool in photovoltaic cell applications, offering high-speed visualization of cell stress (warpage) in a module as well as the state of sintered silver and aluminum paste on the backside of a cell.