Response to Climate Change
Lasertec, as a way to respond to climate change, analyzes the risks and opportunities it brings to its business and strives to mitigate the risks while taking advantage of the opportunities.
Risks and opportunities brought by climate change
We recognize that climate change brings the following risks and opportunities to our business.
- With natural disasters occurring more frequently and causing greater damage, there is a higher risk of damage to our R&D facilities and to the production facilities of our manufacturing subcontractors, and an increase in insurance premium and other costs to cover the risk of damage.
- With an increase in the frequency of large-scale disasters, there is a higher risk of disruption to our operation, transportation, and procurement, and an increase in the cost of business.
- With the progress of global warming, there is a higher risk of health hazards to our employees and increased air-conditioning cost. With the acceleration of global warming, there is a possibility of our operations being forced to relocate.
- There is a risk of new tax burdens such as carbon tax and, by switching to renewable energy, increased cost of energy procurement.
- With the tightening of environmental regulations, there may be a rapid increase in the number of electric vehicles and a reduction in the power consumption of electronic products at an accelerated pace. This will likely lead to growth in demand for lithium ion batteries and energy-efficient power semiconductors made of SiC and GaN. There may also be a need to replace existing chips with more energy-efficient leading-edge semiconductors. Under such circumstances, we expect to see larger demand for our leading-edge inspection and measurement systems that are used in the development and production of batteries and various devices.
- As a measure to respond to global warming, there may be larger demand for more energy-efficient air-conditioners and power-generating/transforming facilities. There may also be larger demand for semiconductor devices for high-performance computing to enable accurate weather and/or natural disaster forecasting. Under such circumstances, there may be larger demand for our leading-edge inspection and measurement systems that are used in the development and production of various devices.
- We are producing products that contribute to reducing environmental burdens by facilitating the progress of semiconductor scaling and lower power consumption as well as by helping customers achieve yield improvement in the manufacturing process. We will keep developing new products that help bring less environmental impact in the leading-edge technology areas to contain the progress of climate change, thereby reducing our risks, and to increase our business opportunities.
- We are striving to reduce CO2 emissions in the entire supply chain in cooperation with our customers, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- We will set up a business continuation plan (BCP) that addresses the risks associated with climate change.